Sunday, October 28, 2018

Worth Miller, 8, Explains Why We Are Fighting and How He Is Helping, 1918

From the Polk County News, Tryon, N.C., Oct. 25, 1918

If you don’t think the boys of this country understand what our soldiers are fighting for and that they intend to do their part, just read the following letter written by Worth Miller, aged 8 years, of Greens Creek township. Worth knows, and what more is determined to do not only his might but his best. His example might be followed by many of his elders who have failed to do either their bit or best:

“I have bought a War Savings Stamp to help my two brothers, John and Gus, in the army, fighting for me. This is how I got my money: picked up wasted corn in the field, got 50 cents; got me a fish basket and caught sold 37 cents worth of fish; went to the mail box three times for Uncle Solon, he gave me 30 cents; I stuck stakes for Mr. Profit, laying off fences, he gave me $1; I picked 210 pounds of cotton for Mr. Rob Riddings, he gave me $2.10 for it; I picked blackberries for Osborn Miller, he gave me 12 cents.
Worth Miller
Greens Creek Township

When our eight year old boys grasp the situation as this youngster has, and does as he has to secure the money which he loans to Uncle Sam to help his two brothers as he puts it, how can our grown-ups hesitate? As long as our children continue to grow up with such ideas in their heads, have no fear for the future of democracy. It is too deeply rooted to ever die. All honor to Worth Miller and his ilk.

No comments:

Post a Comment