Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Letters from France to Wilson, N.C., 1918

From The Daily Times, Wilson, N.C., Oct. 23, 1918. The headline says this is from Herbert Culbreth but it is signed “Hubert.” I don’t know which is correct.

Sept. 23, 1918
My Dear Papa,
I received your good letter of August 25th just a few days ago and have just found time to being my answer. You bet I was glad to hear from your and Sis Mary E., as I always am. All it takes to get me in a good humor is a good long letter from home, and yours of August 25th did the work.

I sincerely trust you enjoyed your trip to Atlantic City and that Mary E. got along all right at home while you were away. You must write me all about your trip.

Am just back to my writing after being called to work for about an hour or so. Am writing by candle light so look out for mistakes.

I know Sis Mary E. is some “Mary E.” in those funny cute sayings of her own. Wish I could see you both tonight and listen to some of her funny sayings and have one of “our” famous “apple suppers.”
Got a copy of the Wilson paper just the other day and you know how an old friend looks to you when you are 4,000 miles away from home. Well, that’s how “Old Wilson Paper” looked to me when I got it. Many thanks for having it sent to me.

Well, papa, I am no longer with my old troop and don’t bugle any more. Was transferred a day or so ago to Division Headquarters and am working in the Statistical office. I think I’m going to like it fine. You may address me in the future Headquarters 80th Division Detachment, Statistical Section, American E.F. I will get all the mail you’ve addressed to the old address all right so long as it comes.
I am getting along o.k., eating three square meals a day and sleeping from 8 to 9 hours a night. 

Certainly hope you and Sis Mary Ellen are both getting on fine and enjoying yourselves. Guess you are still writing a Big Business and Mary Ellen doing good work in her “speeching” course.
Well, papa, when I get to writing you or Sis Mary E. I don’t know when to stop. But guess I’ll have to save something till another time.

Give my best regards to Mr. and Mrs. Brown and children, Mr. and Mrs. Clarke, and my old Wilson friends. Tell Miss Outland hello and to take good care of Sis Mary Ellen.

Be sure and take good care of yourself.

With much love to you and sis M.E. and may God bless you both, I am always, your devoted son
Hubert

-=-

Mr. Paul Ethridge writes his sister, Miss Gertrude Ethridge of Elm City:

Somewhere in France
Sept. 27
My Dear Sister:
I will today take the greatest pleasure in answering your kind and gladly received interesting letter which I received a few days ago and as you know I sure was glad to hear from you all. I am well and getting along fine.

Listen, Gertie, I sent $20 home today and I am going to send $50 more in just a few days and I want you to write me just as soon as you get it.

Gertie, I sure would be glad to be at home with you all and I think if nothing happens I will be at home in a short while.

There are more sights over here than I ever thought of seeing. We are on land now that the Germans have had, and believe me it is tor up.

I took us 17 days to cross the sea.

By the way, we have been in Belgium but have moved back to France. I sure do hope I can be lucky enough to return home some day and then I can tell you all about my trip.

I want you to number every letter you write after you get this one, so I will know whether I am getting your letters or not.

I will close now, with best love and many happy wishes to all.
Paul


No comments:

Post a Comment