Sunday, October 21, 2018

Chaplain Arthur Huffman, Pvt. Frank Carriker Write Home From France, 1918

From the Hickory Daily Record, Monday, Oct. 21, 1918

Chaplain Huffman Writes of France

Letters from Chaplain Arthur M. Huffman, 3rd Division, 9th machine gun battalion, A.E.F., to his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Wm. P. Huffman:

August 25th
Dear Home Folks:

You can’t imagine the beauty of this place. I am sitting under a large Sycamore tree. The weather is grand. To my left is a large chateau, built in the 16th century, which we are using for our barracks. To my right is an old moat which runs around the grounds of the castle, and just in front of me is an ancient wall about 12 feet high. The meadows are beautiful and the woods are full of flowers too.

The people are lovely. They are so willing to go out of their way to help you. A number of the children of the neighborhood are always on the grounds about the chateau. Most of them are willing and patient when you try to talk to them. One in particular is such a fine little fellow. His name is Gaston Leona. He has the blackest hair and the most confident look in his large light brown eyes. We call him our school teacher for he is so patient with us and seems to know what we want to say. That is a great deal to say about a lad of nine. However, I suppose he inherits it for his father was a school teacher, who has been killed in the war. And now the little fellow is left alone with his mother. Today being Sunday he came over all dressed in his sailor suit, with an American flag woven on his sleeve—a fine little boy he is. Through the week he is dressed as all the small boys are around here, with a long tunic over their trousers. We have lots of fun telling them they are girls.

Just outside the wall is a Catholic church. It is a very poor one. The Catholic chaplains have been saying mass over there. Several of us went over to vespers. The congregation was made up of peasant women and children. The priest who has been in charge of the parish has been drafted into the army. I understand that the old priest from a neighboring village comes over once in a while.

You ought to be here now for on all sides of me and all over my bench are children asking and answering questions. Of course I cannot do much of either, however I am learning. Say, I must stop. Will write later.

Love to all,
Arthur

Sept. 9, 1918
Dear Home Folks:

You must just read the letter and not notice the paper it is written on. When we are on the move, we have very little time to write.

Everything has been well with me. My services have been well attended considering the circumstances. We certainly have a fine lot of officers and men. The Y.M.C.A. man who has been with us all the time left today. I hated to see him leave. He and I were getting on so nicely I only hope I can get along with the next one just as well. He may be here today.

I have my horse when I want him. And have been getting lots of pleasure riding. I go sightseeing often over the country. The land is beautiful. The canals wind in and out among the hills. Villages after villages can be seen from the hill tops. These quaint people live here year after year and generation after generation, satisfied. Their old houses are so peculiarly built. The horses, cows, sheep, etc., live under the same roof, enter at the same door, and almost sleep together. A man’s farm is scattered all over the country. He may own 10 acres but it will be in about 25 little slits of land. There are no fences. Everything is marked by stones in the ground.

In the village where we are stationed, there is a shepherd who blows his horn about 6 o’clock, thus calling all the village sheep and goats together. He takes them out over the hills for pasture until dusk, then returns to the village. At the blast of his horn the villagers gather in the town square and claim out of the flock their animals. I hear the horn now. If I were to go down the street a little ways, I would find the women claiming, or either carrying or driving one or more goats or sheep.

I never realized the meaning of the word village until I came to France. You can not call them small towns for they are just villages; and you never find a village without its church and clock. All the clocks strike the hour twice. The tone quality of some is very fine, while that of others is very poor. 

There is an old clock in the room where I am living which I think must be the most prized possession of the old couple that lives here. The other day they thought the key was lost and such a fuss they made over it. If the clock was as old as the house, it is almost 100 years old. The date above the entrance of the home is 1838.

Did you get my cablegram? I sent it for I thought you would like to know as soon as possible what my address is. And then too you got it and wrote immediately. I will hear so much sooner. A letter would look good. It will soon be mess time so will close.

Love to all,
Arthur

-=-
Private Frank Carriker Writes From Trench Mortar Battalion

The Record has received a letter from Private Frank Carriker, 30th trench mortar battalion, in which he sends regards to the whole force, of which he used to be one and continues:

We are getting along fine, having good health, a good time and plenty to eat. The country is very pretty I some parts, but in our immediate vicinity it is not so very attractive.

It is not a rare occasion to see a beautiful pot of flowers in one window of a building and the head of a huge steer projecting from the next window of the same building; in fact it is almost universal.

The country is very affectionate, for after a rain it is a hard proposition to keep it from all sticking to a fellow’s shoes.

With all the disagreeables, I must say the people sure are nice to us boys. They invite us to their homes to do our writing, but that is rather inconvenient so I am sitting in a bar writing this one, which accounts for the scribbling.

We are getting plenty of drilling and hiking since landing on this side.

No comments:

Post a Comment