Friday, October 19, 2018

Letters From Wayland Winborne, Ernest Webb, R.E. Varnell, 1918

Letters from our boys in France as published in The Daily Times, Wilson, N.C., Oct. 19, 1918

Sept. 20, 1918
Mr. W.H. Jones, Simms, N.C.
Dear Mr. Jones:

I know you think I should have written to you before now, but I haven’t been writing to but a very few since being over here on account of it being inconvenient to write at times, but as this is the first time I have had an opportunity I have had to rest since being in France, thought I would write to all my friends I could before going back on duty.

I suppose you read about the great drive the Americans won, anyway I was with them and witnessed a sight which I will never get through telling if I live to get back to America. It is needless for me to try to tell you what I saw or went through with until I get back and I never have had the slightest idea but what I would go back. The first night I slept on the battlefield I picked a large oak to sleep behind (however it wouldn’t have been any protection against shells) so next morning when I got up and walked around the other side I saw four fellows dead where a shell had burst and killed them. I would not have slept that night but my work consists of observing, now I didn’t have to stay away and watch the enemy to see if he was coming on us. He made several counter-attacks but none were successful. About a week before the drive I was detached to the divisional headquarters or transferred one, I don’t know which yet. I hope I am transferred as I like observation work much better than emergency work.

I saw Herman Auston about 3 months ago, and believe me he was glad to see me. He is the only person I have seen since I have been here that I knew. He was unloading oats at a big American camp.

How are you and all the people getting along around Simms? Fine I hope. I certainly would like to see you, but can’t tell how long it will be. Some time yet, as we have got to whip the Boche just like they ought to be before we can go home. The prisoners we capture, which went into the thousands, say we Americans are fighting boys. They say the French will retreat, also the English, but the Americans will fight till they die. That much is true, the Americans will not retreat. It was nothing to see one American capture 25 or 30 Boches by himself.

Well I am afraid I am saying too much about military operations but it makes me feel good to see how we went through the German barb wire so good with such a few men being killed. The French used small tanks to open the way for the boys to go through but they didn’t wait for the tanks, they went right ahead of the. The Major General has thanked the boys for what they did and told them he didn’t see how they went through the barb wire entanglement, but they did.

Well, I will close now as this has to be censored and I am afraid the censor won’t let it go through, but I am taking chances anyway.

With best wishes to all,

Sincerely yours,
Wayland Winborne
5th Division Headquarters, Intelligence Dept., A.E.F., France

-=-

Somewhere in France, Sep. 16-18
Dear Old Pal:

I have been thinking of writing you for some time but I guess you know about what time a fellow gets to write in a war. But I am getting along and hope this will reach you all the same. I got a card from you yesterday, sure was glad to hear from you. Is Mrs. Winstead in good health? I hope she is. Is she staying with you and Maude now? I would like to see you all, but maybe before so long I can be back, the way we are beating the Germans back ow. I would like to be back, but I want to stay over here until we have licked every German in the world.

Say, Allison, are you thinking about being called in? Boy, war is no play gam I tell you, but the Americans are showing Kaiser Bill what Uncle Samuel has got, and I think he has about got enough of us.

Well, Allison, I will close. Give everybody my best regards and tell them to write. I have been promoted a little. I am with Battalion Headquarters now. So when you all write, address it: Sgt. W.E. Webb, 3rd. Bn. Headquarters, 119 U.S. Inf. A.E. France.

Say, how is that baby of yours getting along? Fine I hope.

Write soon. Best wishes.

Your old pal,
Ernest
-=-

Sept. 6, 1918

My Dear Wife:
Will answer your kind letter of August 6. It was so interesting and meant so much to me that I can’t begin to tell you how glad I was to get it. I have read it over, and I still like to read it just as well as I did the first time.

I am very glad you have received my pictures o.k. and that you like them. I don’t they are very good for we were laughing so much. I have sent you some more, I guess you have received them by now.

No, I can’t tell you many things about where I have been, and nothing about the work I am doing; but I can tell you where I am as I have already done in some of my other letters, and have sent you some pictures of the different places around here. I am sure you have received them by now. I am sending you some ore in this letter, one is the depot of Bourron, where we are.

Yes, Guy is a chum of mine. He is a very nice man. I think a lot of him.

Will, I hope it is not so hot now at home. We haven’t had very much real hot weather over here and for the last week we have had some very (cold?) nights, but it is quite a bit warmer now.

Yes, it is very nice to have a Y.M.C.A. to supply us with the things we need. It is great for the boys over here. The people at home should now what great work the Y.M.C.A. and Red Cross are doing for the boys, and how much they appreciate it, and how anxious they are to thank the people in the good old U.S.A. for what they have done to help the Y.M.C.A. and Red Cross.

Well, I haven’t told you yet how I am. I am just fine, have got over my few days illness and feel better than ever. I am more than glad you are well.

I will close for this time, will write again Monday evening.

All love to you from your ever true husband.
R.E. Varnell
10th Co., 2nd M.M. Reg. S.C., A.E. Forces, via New York, N.Y. Bourron, France


No comments:

Post a Comment