Monday, January 7, 2019

Sgt. Thad Sharpe Writes of End of War and a Verdon Soldier, Jan. 7ii, 1919

From The Wilson Times, Jan. 7, 1919

Letter From Sgt. Thad Sharpe

Dec. 5, 1918
Am Still in France
My dear Mother and Elsie:

I will write you a few lines this morning. I am getting on o.k. and I truly hope you and all my folks are well.

I feel that I have been blessed to the fullest extent. Haven’t been sick to amount to anything since coming over. I am very thankful to say.

And was lucky enough not to get hit by any of the shells sent over to our line by the Jerries. Although they ploughed up the earth all around me at times, and the shrapnel was flying near and thick. Well, mamma you ought to of seen us beat it to the dugouts, and when the gas shells came over you ought to of seen us put on our gas mask, or life saver I call it. For gas will surely kill, believe me. I lost some sleep over this stuff called gas. But never did get any of it. Several of my company did get it.
Oh! I received a roll of papers this morning and have been reading some letters that the boys wrote home. I also read some that Capt. Giddens wrote of Co. K. I tell you those Daily Times you sent sure did look good to me.

Yes I know about drinking water from shell holes and making coffee with it also. But we have a way of purifying every drop of it before using it. No matter what kind of well or spring it comes from.
We have three big water bags that hang around the kitchen, and I keep the “dope” in them to make the water o.k. and men are not allowed to drink at other places. That’s the way Uncle Sam keeps a well army.

Well, Mamma, I have been trying to get a chance to write you a long letter ever since the war stopped but have not had time. We were on the front at the end, having gone over the top on Saturday morning before the end on Monday. Well it took a day or two to get back to any place. And all were busy trying to get clothes for most all had lost about everything they had. I had about a dozen pair of new socks and you ought to of seen me divide with the other fellows. I also gave away one of sweaters as I had two.

Then we started on our long hike, which lasted 16 days. We would hike all day and stop over in some village for the night, and start out next morning by light, until we reached our final destination. I think we will stay here until we get ready to start home once again. I don’t think this division will sail before the latter part of January, perhaps later, can’t tell.

We are getting “all rigged out” in new clothing now, and by the way these new clothes that will be ours when mustered out.

Well, Mamma, we have not had pay day in over two months now. We heard yesterday that we would be paid today and you bet our ears are open listening for the bugler sound pay call. A happy gang of Yanks we will be. The first thing after we get our francs, about 4 or 5 of us will buy 4 or 5 chickens, the largest we can find, and cook them up. Then get 4 or 5 of the best looking French girls we can find and the feast is on. The girls learn us how to talk in their tongue tied way, and we learn them how to eat chicken or poo-ley they call it. Now don’t you bet we have a good time.

Well, Mamma, I must stop my foolishness or you will think I am fixing to recruit in the arm.

I received a letter from Sgt. Billie Mears yesterday, also one from Eddie Ellis. Both are o.k. They are with the 30th division you know. Tell Alice that Bill is o.k. but says he has a plenty of the war. Well we all have a plenty but could and would stand more if need be. But we won’t have any more war in a long, long time.

Well, Elsie, I would like to tell you about the large cities I have seen which are completely torn up. I just wish I could picture the city of Verdun to you. A place four times as large as Wilson and every building has been bombed, none of them have a top. Just the walls standing and some of the walls are smashed. No one lives there, only soldiers. All the people that weren’t killed at the time of the bombing have left. The big battle of Verdun was in 1916. I guess you remember seeing it in the paper. I was told that around one million men were killed in that battle and about that many horses. This is near what they call “Dead Man’s Hill,” just where I was when the end came. I was not stationed at Verdun but was at Belrupt, about two miles away, and I went over to see the ruins of the once famous city, and while there I heard a French soldier say, “Four years ago I left this town and it was beautiful,” and pointing to a large pile of rock which was once a magnificent stone building he said, “There I left a dear father and mother crying and praying for my safe return. Since that day I have not seen them and don’t know whether they are dead or living. Today I return for the first time and find my home and town blown to pieces.” Well, I was awfully sorry for the young soldier. This country is full of just such cases.

I received the pictures all right, think they are fine.

Elsie kiss all of my little nieces for me and tell them to pray for me as I know they have been doing.

I intend being home in time for the closing of tobacco sales.

Hope Esther T. received my letter. Tell them Wm. Green is all right.

Well, I must close. I am sending you all some Xmas cards.

Love and best wishes to all,
Sgt. Thad P. Sharpe
Co. D, 322 Inf., U.S.A. P.O. 791
A.E.F.

No comments:

Post a Comment