Tuesday, January 29, 2019

What the American Farmer Believes In, Jan. 29, 1919

From the University of North Carolina News Letter, Jan. 29, 1919

A Farmer’s Creed

I believe in red clover, in white clover, in sweet clover, in cowpeas, in soybeans, and above all, I believe in alfalfa, the queen of forage plants.

I believe in a permanent agriculture, in a soil that grows richer rather than poorer from year to year.

I believe in 60 bushel corn and 40 bushel wheat and shall not be satisfied with less.

I believe that the only good weed is a dead weed, and that a clean farm is as important as a clean conscience.

I believe in the farm boy and the farm girl, the farmer’s best crop and the future’s best hope.

I believe in the farm woman and will do all in my power to make her life easier and happier.

I believe in the country school that prepares for country life, and in the country church that teaches its people to love deeply and live honorably.

I believe in community spirit, a pride in the home and neighbors, and I will do my part to make my own community the best in the state to live in.

I believe in better roads, and I will use the road drag whenever the roads are ready for it.

I believe in happiness. I believe in the power of a smile, and will use mine on every possible occasion.

I believe in the farmer. I believe in farm life. I believe in the inspiration of the open country.

I am proud to be a farmer, I am proud to be a member of a farm bureau, and I will try earnestly to uphold the worthy name.
--E.J.K. in the Kansas Industrialist


No comments:

Post a Comment