Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Privates John Eatman, Hosea Parker Write From France, April 2, 1919

From The Daily Times, Wilson, N.C., April 2, 1919

Letters from Soldiers

The following is a letter to Miss Mary Eatman of this city from her nephew, Prvt. John Eatman, who is with the A.E.F. in France:

Dear Aunt:

Will write you a few lines tonight to let you know I am well and getting along o.k. Hope this finds you the same. I have received several letters from you since I have been in France and was very glad to get them. Guess you think I am never going to write to you at all but you know I ever was much for writing and when I did write I just had to write home.

I have been in France now nearly seven months but I can’t speak this lango yet, but it don’t sound quite so funny as it did when I first came over here.

Wonder how grandma is getting along? Tell her to be good and take care of herself. Hope you haven’t stopped writing me for I think I will be here long enough to get lots more mail.

Well, as it is getting late I will close for this time. Give all the folks my best regards and write me the news.

As ever,
Prvt. John W. Eatman

-=-

Jan. 30, 1919
My dear Mother, Father and All:

I will write you all to let you know I am well and all right. Think I will sail for the good old U.S.A. about the 15th of February. That is the talk here now, but it is not for sure, but you can bet that I hope we do, at least I think we will sail soon for the States. I have been left the States just six months today, and you may know that dear old U.S.A. would look good to me now. I was 12 days on the water. I landed in Liverpool on the 12th of August, and you can bet I was tired of that trip. There were 18 ships on the convoy and any where from 4,000 to 12,000 soldiers on each. We came across all the way safely. Never was attacked by a submarine.

England is a beautiful country, is much more so than France.

I was on the firing line just one month to the day after I landed in Liverpool, that was the 12th of September. The Saint Mihiel drive we advanced 16 miles there on a 50 mile front and captured 50,000 Germans. This land, the British and French said could not be taken, but the brave American soldiers took it in two days time. The British and French had made two attempts to take this land, but failed both times.

I was in the battle in the Argonne Woods in October. There was the hardest fighting during the whole war. And it came out safely without being wounded or gassed. I am thankful to God America won the war. She has won a great victory, and we all should be proud our great country, the greatest country in all the world.

How is the weather there now? We have a little snow here, but it is not so cold. I am hoping I will sail for the States next month. Hope you are all well.

Your Loving Son,
Prvt. Hosea T. Parker
Co. G, 165th Inf. No. 1892449, 42 Div. A.E.F.

No comments:

Post a Comment