Monday, April 8, 2019

Pvt. Floyd Felton Writes Home From Germany, April 8, 1919

From The Daily Times, Wilson, N.C., April 8, 1919

Letter to His Mother

Germany
March 14, 1919
My Dearest Mother:

Just a few lines to you tonight to let you know I am well at present, hoping these few lines will reach you and find you all the same.

Well, mother, I’m writing you tonight in case I’m not able to write again for some time. We have all got to be vaccinated again before we start for home. Ten of our company got theirs today, and I guess I will get mine tomorrow, and of course it’s going to make my arm sore for a few days. I saw in the paper today that our Division would start for home about April 1. You can’t imagine how good it seems to know that we are going to leave this place pretty soon. The paper stated that we would embark from Antwerp, Belgium, so I guess we will have a good ways to go before we get to a boat. 

For the last few days this has been a regular jail to me. The town we’re in is surrounded by mountains and we don’t have the privilege to leave it unless we have a pass, or go out on trucks. I am real glad when I have to go out. It seems good to get out of this place now and then. I was over at a town a few days ago, on the Rhine, and today I was out nearly all day, and it seems like I feel lots better at night when I ride all day. We are not doing much drilling, but I am on guard about every four nights and believe me that’s a job.

Well, mother, I haven’t heard anything from you in some time. I received Dahlia’s letter and she said she didn’t get her kodak Xmas but she wanted one real bad.

Well mother, I must close for this time, as it is getting about bed time, so be good until I see you. Bye, bye.

Pvt. Floyd E. Felton

No comments:

Post a Comment