Wednesday, April 3, 2019

These Three N.C. Boys Serving in Panama, April 3, 1919

From the Rockingham Post-Dispatch, April 3, 1919

Letter from Lonnie Cole

Ft. Randolph, Canal Zone
March 15th, 1919
Dear Editor:

I arrived safely from the States March 6th after a fine trip home. Shortly after returning I ran across a Rockingham boy, George Wilson, who is in the Navy on the repair ship Vestal; also C.W. Page of Greensboro, who is a relative of Mrs. Tebe Steele. We three were together a few hours at Colon and I enjoyed going around with them.

Have put in for my discharge or to be furloughed to the regular army reserve, and I think I will be back in the States about April 15th, but of course you never can tell.

The Post-Dispatch comes regularly; I only wish it were a daily instead of a weekly. But I read every word and then, like the children with Castoria, “cry for more.”

--Lonnie C. Cole


No comments:

Post a Comment