Saturday, May 21, 2022

Dr. Farion, Who Opposed Votes for Women, Favors Electing Woman, May 21, 1922

Dr. Farion Favors Women

At first, I was not in favor of women suffrage. It is now an established fact, I accept it in full force and effect. I will be more than glad to welcome the women into the ranks of my party, the Democratic party. I feel this to its fullest extent, therefore, I am glad to see women announcing themselves as candidates for various offices in this State and county. I rejoice in the announcement of Mrs. R.E. McDowell of Steel Creek to fill one of the positions on our County School Board of Education. She is competent. She has been a most earnest and persistent advocate of a County health department. Dr. Query and I have stood by her faithfully It was finally granted that every man and woman in the Democratic party should be glad to give her their suffrage for this service. In fact, I can’t well see how a Republican can afford to vote against her.

--Dr. I.W. Faison

From the editorial page of The Charlotte News, May 21, 1922

No comments:

Post a Comment