Thursday, September 27, 2018

Don't Be Angry With Me For Having Gotten Married, 1918

“With Robeson Soldiers,” from The Robesonian, Lumberton, N.C., Sept., 26, 1918

In a Beautiful Spot in France—“Disgustingly Healthy”
Mrs. W.P. Powell Jr. of Lumberton has received the following letter from her son, Mr. Ernest Prevatt, who is in France:
Dear Mother:
I am sorry that I haven’t written before now, but I have been so busy for the last few weeks that I haven’t had time to do much of anything except work. At last we are settled again and I hope to be able to write regularly, or at least as often as I ever did in normal times.
Everything is going fine with us now, and not half the beauties of France have ever been told. I think that we are in one of the most beautiful spots that I have ever seen.
I hope that everybody at home is well. I am—I am disgustingly healthy.
You will have probably heard from my wife before you will receive this and if you haven’t, why of course Odin told you that I was married. Please don’t be disappointed too much. I think I really did well in remaining single until I was 26, don’t you?
I don’t see why you didn’t come with Odius to Miami the 4th. I am beginning to want to see the homefolks once more.
I haven’t written to Emory yet, but I intend to today. I don’t know where he is or what part of France he is in, but if he is anywhere near us I am going to try to get to see him before we go back to the States. Anyway, after the war, you can just be prepared to feed Emory and myself, with our wives, for a few days, so you needn’t be mad at us or our wives, for you know we will come anyway. You can’t hardly say that yu are not at home when we get there, and if you do we will go in and wait for you to come back.
I haven’t so very much time today as I want to write to Emery and Odius. I want you and Ferri to write to me and give me all the home news; and don’t forget to write to Emory as there is nothing in this country appreciated more than a good long letter from home and mother.
Lovingly,
Ernest
Squadron “9” Field “E”
U.S. Naval Aviation Forces, F.S.
North Bombing Squadrons

No comments:

Post a Comment