Friday, September 28, 2018

Major James Bethea to His Brother, Rev. Morrison Bethea, 1918

From the Daily Times, Hickory N.C., Sept. 27, 1918

From Maj. James A. Bethea of the U.S. Regular Army, brother of Rev. Morrison Bethea. Major Bethea has charge of a number of hospitals in France.

4th Sanitary Train A.E.F.
American P.O. 746
August 31, 1918
…..
I took a long walk this morning through a big hunting preserve which was kept up by a rich man before the war. It was a beautiful place and Maj. Hoy who was with me was a prince of companions for such a jaunt. He commands one of my hospitals. One thing that amused me was we saw what looked to be a modern bungalow so went to look it over, and found that it was a bee-hive about the size of a two-roomed house.

Well, I have been here over three months now, when six months are up I will be entitled to a service stripe. I do not wish for the war to last for that, but hope that I will get that before I am ordered home.
My hospitals are all working together like a happy family now and I should be very contented and am contented and happy and proud, too, as we have received considerable praise from where it counts.

The last of August and the first of September is the time when all the children gather at the old home every year. The grapes are ripe, the fish bite fine, squirrel shooting is good, swimming is fine, the frying size chickens are ripe—But why dream when so far away?

I have been kicking of late about not getting any mail, but think how lucky we are to get any at all. The ancient warriors fought for years without hearing from home or being heard from. I suppose that you are getting my letters regular as I see no reason for home-going mail to be delayed. Of course, the enormous amount of incoming mail to be handled over French roads, etc., is quite a problem and under all the circumstances they do very well.

Everything is the same old seventy-six.

With much love,
James

No comments:

Post a Comment