Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Proud of Our Girls, Too, Says James Dempsey Bullock, 1918

“Our Girls,” by J.D. Bullock, in the Daily Times, Wilson, N.C., September 18, 1918
Some time ago we read a very good poem by Henderson entitled “I Have a Boy” expressing pride in the fact that that boy was fighting for the Allied cause, fighting for democracy and all mankind. We thought of the fathers and mothers who have girls who are doing everything possible to back up their neighbor’s sons, girls who have volunteered for Red Cross work, etc. We wrote “I have a girl.”
I have a girl—and I am proud that while she cannot point a gun, she can at least do her bit and back up my neighbor’s son.
And while they will not let her take her stand beside him in the line, yet when he’s wounded, down and out, her duty then she’ll find.
She’ll nurse him back to health again and make him fit to fight; the battle against the barbarous Hun for democracy and for right. And when this dreadful war is over and she’s asked what she has done, I am proud to say that my girl can stand up and say “I backed up my neighbor’s son.”
--James Dempsey Bullock

No comments:

Post a Comment