Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Craven Ezzell Agrees With General Sherman: War Is Hell, 1918

From The Dunn Dispatch, Dec. 12, 1918

Letter Home From Craven Ezzell

The following is a letter from Craven Ezzell, who is with the American Expeditionary Forces in France, to his mother, Mrs. J.D. Ezzell of Dunn

November 16th
Dear Mother:

I have not written to you in about two weeks and I expect you think something is wrong, but there is nothing at all, only I haven’t had the time to drop you a line.

I know you all are happy to know the war is practically over. I certainly am and am “raring” to get back home. Take it from me, last Monday at 11 o’clock, when all the guns ceased firing, you could see some of the happiest looking boys you ever saw. It reminded me of the day after Christmas when all the works stopped shooting.

I am now in a little dug out with a good fire blazing away as it is beginning to get a little chilly in the so-called Sunny France. Am just a few miles from the German border, and I believe if the armistice had not been signed we would now have been in some of the enemy’s oiwn towns. We are situated at present in some of the prettiest country you ever saw, it it doesn’t look half as good as Wilson & Lee’s corner does to me.

Of course the next big question is when are you coming home. I don’t know, but hope to be there soon, maybe by Christmas and maybe not, but if this is really the end of this thing, you may pick out my Easter suit for I will be there after it if nothing happens. When I do get back I can relate some of the greatest experiences I ever had or ever will have. I hope I never again have to go through with what I have the past three months. Sherman was just beginning to curse when he said ‘War is Hell.’
I haven’t received a word form you in nearly three weeks. I know you have written me but the letter must be lost. I never give up hope for mail, for sometime I get letters in 20 days and again it is 40. I will write you again in a few days.

Lots of love to you and the kids,

Craven

No comments:

Post a Comment