Tuesday, December 25, 2018

Pittman, Webb, Wilkerson, Beland Families Receive Letters for Christmas, Dec. 24, 1918

From The Daily Times, Wilson, N.C., Dec. 24, 1918

Letter from Frank Pittman

The following letter is from Mr. Frank Pittman, “Somewhere in France,” to his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Jno. Ed Pittman, who live near Wilson.

November 13, 1918
Dear Father and Mother:

Will drop you a few lines to let you hear from me. I am well and you know I am feeling good to know the war is over.

I had a narrow escape just before it was over. I went into the battle on the ninth, before it was over on the 11th. We lost right many men in our division, don’t know yet how many. Thank the Lord I was lucky enough to get out, and luck it was, for we went in through shell fire and came out through it.
We went into the fight about 9 o’clock and drove until 4 o’clock. During that time we drove them back about a mile and a half or two miles, and when they got back behind their machine guns they opened fire on us with them and we couldn’t do a thing, but retreat and come out. We captured several of them and they captured several of our boys, but turned them loose soon after it was over. Some of our boys that were wounded were carried to their hospitals by Fritz. We were in to it the evening everything ceased firing and they were bringing the dead and wounded out, we went up where they were, and they were the proudest fellows you ever saw. Fritz shook hands with us and wanted to hug us. They took some of the boys back about two miles and showed them how they (Fritz) were situated, and our boys say they were fixed up pretty well. Fritz says if they had not got ordered to stop firing at 11 o’clock they were going to keep themselves up until 1 o’clock, then come over and give themselves up to us. The Germans had been promised peace and had been fooled every time.

Well it won’t be so long now before I can be on my way back to the U.S.A. and you know I will be a proud boy then. Well, I will tell you all about it when I get home again.

Love to all.

Your devoted son,
Frank

-=-

Letter From Rainey Wilkerson

November 27, 1918
My Dear Mother:

Will write you a short letter tonight. Would have written sooner but have been sick since Tuesday. Have been very ill but am feeling some better tonight. I have got so I have the headache like papa. It lasts two or three days at the time.

We made another move Wednesday. We are now in a good place. Anyway we think we are on our way home. All the rumors are that we will leave here about the first of December. I certainly hope so, for I sure am tired of staying over here. We drew the first American rations Saturday that we have drawn since we came over here for we have been attached to the British army ever since we have been over here up until about a week ago.

How is papa getting along. All are well I hope. Is mamie getting ready to move to the country? Well, I, for one, will never like the country for I have already seen too much of it. I have been very near all over France. Saw Harvey Wilkerson a few days ago. He had just come from the hospital where he had been treated for a wound.

Winter time has struck us over here at last but I have nine blankets and my bed fellow has six, so I sleep plenty warm.

Well, Thanksgiving is right here and all of us boys over here certainly have something to be thankful for.

I am afraid that Hatty is sick for I haven’t heard from her lately.

Tell papa if he was here he could get all the cognac and rum he wanted, either will make you drunk. Once in a while I will take a drink. It costs seven sous or seven cents in our money.

Well, I must close for tonight. Hope to see you all soon.

Lovingly, your son,
Rainey

-=-

Letter from Ernest W. Webb

Somewhere in France
November 15, 1918
Mr. Graham W. Batts, Wilson, N.C.
My Dear Friend:

Will write you tonight, would have written you before but we have been pretty busy attending to the Boche, or rather the Germans. We are having a good rest now, just a few parades and inspections are all. Guess you all over there have received the good news. And I know it put gladness in many a sad heart over there, but the people over home are not the only ones glad to see it end. We Americans over here to put an end to it and we did so, and we ended it in a way to please all of the Allied nations, and that was to fight them to a finish. The people over home don’t realize the feeling these poor countries have towards the Americans. They take their hats off to us, and I tell you they owe it to us for we saved them from destruction.

I read in the Daily Times a few days ago where there was a lot of influenza around Wilson, sure was sorry to learn that. We haven’t lost a man with it from Company K so far.

Those of us present with the company just now are well and getting along fine, and hope to be back in the good old U.S.A. soon. Guess you have read in the papers of what the Tar Heels have been doing over here, haven’t you? They still have the pep their fathers and grandfathers had in the Civil War.

The last letter I wrote you I was with Battalion Headquarters, I was with them about three months, but am back with old Company K now. We have a new captain now and a fine one. He is a Tar Heel, his home is in Goldsboro. Zeno G. Holland is his name. I saw Captain Giddens a few days ago. He was getting along all o.k. He is in command of a replace battalion now and we sure miss him.

I notice in several papers where Wilson goes over the top on all the Liberty Bond days, and it makes a fellow feel good to see where his old home town shows up so well. And the people of Wilson can rest assured that every man in Company K has done his part in beating the Huns.

Charlie Mumford is in London on a pass for a few days. The captain asked me the other day if I wanted a pass. I told him yes but I didn’t think he could supply me with one like I wanted. He asked me what kind I wanted and I told him I wanted one across the Mill Pond. We hope to be back before very long and I think the churches will have more business when we get back than they did before we came over here, for this war has taught many a man a good lesson. And I guess there will be a number of them that will visit Mr. Dildy, the Register of Deeds.

Well, Graham, I guess you are getting tired of reading this so will close as I am not for writing letters. Give all my friends my best regards and tell them to write me.

With best wishes,
Ernest W. Webb, 1st Sgt. Co. K

-=-

Roy F. Beland

A letter from Mr. Roy F. Beland to his father, Mr. J.C. Beland.
November 24, 1918
Dear Dad:

I will take pleasure in writing you a few lines today. I am well and enjoying the very best of health.
Today is called Dad’s day. Every soldier in the A.E.F. is requested to write his father a letter today. In case he hasn’t a father, to write somebody else’s father.

Well, I have the chance of telling you about my trip over. I left Camp Greene, from there I went to Camp Upton, N.Y. I left New York City July 15th. We sailed two days and arrived at Halifax, Canada. We stayed there two days and then we started across. We went a long ways out of the way dodging subs. When we were near the coast of England our convoy ran into a bunch of submarines there. We had a little excitement for about one hour. I was down in the transport when I heard the shots. I came up and went to the forward deck of the ship and about the time I got to my life boat I saw a submarine pass by the ship on our right. Fired three shots at it, the third sinking it. We had quite a number of cruisers and submarine chasers with us.

The first of August we arrived at Liverpool, England. Thee we unloaded and took a train and crossed England to Southampton. We stayed in Southampton for 48 hours and then we took a boat across the English Channel and in about four hours we arrived at Le Havre, France. From there we went to Issodoun and I have been here ever since I have been in France. Well, I guess this ends my journey in a very few words.

I guess the next thing to study about is going back. I don’t believe that will be much longer.

Well, papa, the war is over and I haven’t fired a gun, and haven’t had a gun, since I left the infantry last January, some brave soldier I am, Ha, ha! And that isn’t all, I haven’t seen one fired. I wanted to see some of the front but I guess I am out of luck, but I have put in my time at an aviation field. I think I could have made better if I could have stayed in the Infantry.

I am sending you a paper that is published, the 3rd Aviation Instruction Center. It can tell you more about the kind of work I am doing than I can. I read it every week. I think it is very interesting. Well, as news is scarce, I will close. Love to you all.

Your devoted son,
Roy

No comments:

Post a Comment