Thursday, December 20, 2018

Sgt. Bert Crowell Of Bickett's Battery Tells of Experiences in Battle, Dec. 20, 1918

From The Monroe Journal, Dec. 20, 1918

Sgt. Bert Crowell Tells of Bickett Battery’s Doings

Battery D. Composed Chiefly of Union and Anson County Boys First Went into Action Sept. 12. . . . A Part of the 30th Division Which Has been Cited for Bravery in Action

First Sergeant Bert Crowell of the Bickett Battery, in writing to his mother Nov. 28th, relates something of the experiences and hardships of the boys in whom all Union county is interested. This battery is a part of the 30th, or “Old Hickory” Division, which first went into action with the British at St. Mihiel and which has been cited several times for bravery in action. The following extract is quoted from Serget. Crowell’s letter:

I am getting along very nicely now. Had a very dull Thanksgiving tho’, for it rained all day long; in fact it has been raining all the week. I think the rainy season of France has set in, which naturally makes me want to get out. Everything so far, under the circumstances, has been very interesting and enjoyable. I consider that I have profited by my army experience, for in addition to fighting, I have learned many things.

Now I want to tell you of some of my ups and downs, etc., since leaving New York. We left New York May 27; arrived in Liverpool, England, on June 7, and from there to Le Havre, France, arriving there on June 13, and then from there to our training camp near Guer, France. The name of the camp was Camp Coetgindam. We remained there under intensive training until August 26. Then we boarded the train for Toul, arriving there August 28. We camped about 10 kilometers out of Toul and remained there until our first attack on Sept. 12, which was known as the Saint Mihiel drive. Of course you have read of the American successes at this place. Then of course we followed up the Boche. It was in this drive that we found all those chickens, cows and hogs, also some horses and large gardens and hay stacks. In some of the German dugouts we found pianos and many suits of German uniforms, etc. Our attack on St. Mihi8el led on into the Argonne Forest of which you have read very much. At this place we met very strong resistance. We remained in this place under heavy shell fire for over a week. Here I saw manmy arir plane battles daily and also saw several balloons shot down in flames. The wounded were many and all kinds of means were used to get them back to dressing stations from which place they were sent to hospitals. I camped, with about 80 other of our men and horses, near a German cemetery for over a week, and here several Americans were buried. Ah, but that Forest was a terrible place! I will have to tell you more of it when I get back. It was here that I saw Lieut. Monroe whose division relieved us. We went from there to another sector in which we remained until the armistice was signed, and at which place we are now. We assisted in the attack here which helped the Allies to capture the last town that was captured in the war.

Practically all of our traveling has been at night and in the rain and mud. But everybody went to it cheerfully as thoughtful of their duties and always eager for the next attack.

Wish you could have seen us in some nights when we were camped in heavy woods and a gas alarm would be given. Of course everyone would immediately put on gas masks and there would be a scramble for the open. We were not allowed to use any lights and everything was wet and muddy. You can imagine how pleasant everything was. Some of the boys were afraid they would get lost, for they could hardly judge in the dark with their heavy gas masks on and in the woods where they were going and by the way, there was only one path. I never will forget one of them down on his hands and knees crawling around and crying. Another had lost his gas mask and just knew he would be gassed to death. He began to pray and begged the Lord to return his mask. Luckily it was a false alarm and no damage done. We finally got everybody out and got masks taken off of the horses and went back to bed only to have to go through something again about 5 a.m. and again it was a false alarm. This will give you an idea of some of the things we endured but there was a great deal of fun gotten out of such stuff for thee was always some one to be laughed at. Oh! but it’s a great life, I wouldn’t take anything for my experiences but on the other hand I would not again go through them for any amount.

Now mother I have given you the details of how I have spent some of my time. I will save the rest until my return, which I don’t think is far off. Just remember dear, that I have done it all and enjoyed it for you and for the world. I can sit back and say that I did my bit in the Great War and with the disagreeable things that came, some which were enjoyable. What did you do to-day to enjoy yourself?

Well, mother dear, I think I shall retire and have some sweet dreams of You. Hoping you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Love to all.

Your son,
Bert

No comments:

Post a Comment