Saturday, September 14, 2019

Samuel Leonard Reports County Welfare Work, Sept. 13, 1919

From The Daily Times, Wilson, N.C., Sept. 13, 1919

County Welfare Work

I am well pleased with the first reports from the schools in regard to attendance. The numbers out of school that comes under the compulsory law is small. In most of these cases arrangements can be made whereby the children can be placed in school. Almost daily parents come into the office to explain a home situation where the child has not entered. I like the spirit. It is one of the two things, either you must hunt the attendance officer up or he must hunt you up if your child is not in school. According to my way of reasoning, you show more interest in your child by getting busy than by waiting to see whether you will be reported.

One case has been tried in the juvenile court. Another is waiting trial while I have several on record for investigation as soon as I can get transportation, and am sure many cases will come to me when I get into the different parts of the county.

I should appreciate it if the people of the county would let me know of cases of distress, whether of poverty or otherwise, whenever I can be of assistance.
--Samuel E. Leonard, County Sup’t Welfare
-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment