Monday, August 12, 2024

Mary Swindell Visits Green Farm in Martin County, Aug. 12, 1924

Visits Big Farm

By Mary Swindell

Hertford County Herald

Last Monday, August 4th, it was my pleasure to visit the peach orchard and poultry lot of “Pecan Grove Farm,” seven miles beyond Williamston. The farm is owned by Mr. and Mrs. Green of Martin county and is situated on the concrete road between Williamston and Washington, N.C.

Mrs. Green, although a stranger to me, cheerfully showed me the orchard which had ripe fruit on 13 large Elberta peach trees hanging to t6he full capacity of the limb. I have a feeling that the Sand Hill section could not rival this orchard. Before leaving I made a picture of this and then we walked over to the poultry yard. I saw the largest poultry lot I had ever seen before. The breeds on this farm are White Leghorn and Rhode Island Reds, the greater number being the latter. They were housed in several different sections of the lot and I was amazed to learn that Mrs. Green had on the lot 2,100 birds. She had many beautiful white leghorns hatched in May and gets an average of 200 eggs daily. I noticed the molting season was beginning.

Mrs. Green showed me the grapevines and flower in the backyard, also the gourds that were climbing on a fence near the kitchen. These gourds are half black and half yellow. The grapes were pink and delicious. As we returned to the porch Mrs. Green gave me a most welcome invitation to have dinner with her and I experience in the words of Washington Irving, who said, “There is an emanation from the heart in genuine hospitality that is immediately felt and puts the stranger at ease.” So it was in this case.

It is always fine to see old southern hospitality in the home of those who live by the side of the road. It is better to know country homes of this county are always extending as gracious hospitality as does its neighbor county, Martin.

From the front page of The Williamston Enterprise, Martin County, Tuesday, Aug. 12, 1924

newspapers.digitalnc.org/lccn/sn92073995/1924-08-12/ed-1/seq-1/#words=August+12.+1924

No comments:

Post a Comment