Wednesday, August 7, 2024

Teach My Daughter, Too, Mr. Brown Asks Miss Alma Edwards, Rowan Home Agent, Aug. 7, 1924

Sewing Club Girl Example to Family

“Are you the lady that visits the school houses and teaches girls to sew?” asked Mr. B. Brown, a farmer from the Central community in Rowan county when meeting Miss Alma Edwards, the home agent. “Yes, I am that lady,” replied Miss Edwards.

“That’s what I thought. I’ve been telling Margie and Mildred that they ought to go up there and learn about those things. I told them to ‘look at Grace. You can’t make anything,’ I said, and I told my wife, ‘Look at Grace. Girls ought to know more about such tings as Grace does. Grace can make anything she wants.’”

Grace Brown is a niece and received her training in clothing work as a member of the home demonstration sewing clubs. She was a leading club girl, was sent to the short course at Raleigh one summer and later when to a commercial school. She is now one of the well dressed young women of Salisbury, is employed by a law firm, lives at her home out in the country, and makes her own clothes and drives in to work each day.

Miss Edwards states that Grace was well pleased indeed when she heard how her Uncle had praised her and felt that a large part of the credit was due to the early training secured in club work.

From page 7 of the Mooresville Enterprise, Thursday, Aug. 7, 1924

newspapers.digitalnc.org/lccn/sn93064798/1924-08-07/ed-1/seq-7/#words=August+7%2C+1924

No comments:

Post a Comment