Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Pvts. Henry Warren, Richard Wade, Write Home, 1919

From The Dunn Dispatch, Feb. 27, 1919

Letter from Pvt. Henry Warren
Jan’y 16, 1919
To the Editor:

Did you ever hike millions of miles and carry a ton on your back and blister your heels and your shoulders to where the straps ran down from your pack in the rain or the snow or the mud perhaps in the smothering heat or the cold? If you have, why then you’re a buddy into our fold.

Did you ever eat with your plate in your lap, with your cup on the ground at your side, while cooties and bugs of species untold dancing fox trot over your hide? Did you ever sleep in a tent so small that your head and your feet played tag? Then shake old man, you’re a Pal of ours for you followed the same old flag. 

Did you ever stand in a front line trench with Fritizie a few feet away, with Jerries and Minnies a whistling around and gas coming over all day, with No Man’s Land a ?? of steel, and a tempest of bursting shell? Then come in old man and toast your shins for we’re all just back from Hell.

Private Henry C. Warren
Co. B 322 Inf. A.E.F.

-=-

Private Richard C. Wade, Co. I, 321 Infantry, A.E.F., to his mother, Mrs. W.F. Wade, Dunn

Jan. 23, 1919
Dear Mother:

I will write to you this time. So many people have died back in the States I am almost afraid to write, fearing I might write to some one that has died with the Flu. I am now in Aix, Les Bain on a furlough. I won’t even try to describe the scenery, but will send some views.

We had a march about two miles from Aix Les Bain to Georges, where we spent the afternoon. I have just come from the theatre where I enjoyed a good vaudeville and will mail this before I go to my room in Astoria Hotel. There are two more places I want to go before my seven days are out. Then my vacation will be finished and I’ll go back to my regiment which is some over 200 miles from here.

We are enjoying the trip here all o.k. so far. We are expecting to be home by summertime. When I write one of the family I want it passed around and let you all read it.

The Second Day

I won’t even try to write all I have seen. I went through the Museum this morning and saw lots of interesting things. We saw the old Roman temple and the oldest bath pool in history. It was used years before Christ. These things were gotten up before American was discovered. We had a guide to carry us through and explain everything. We went into a large building used for a bath house for crown heads, Kings, millionaires, etc., of the European country and believe me it’s some swell place. We soldiers use it for free. We make the water fly and the beauty of it all is the water is always hot, right out of the mountain hot springs. There is a well about 5 miles deep. The water looks like it is boiling. There are 18 different kinds of water to bathe in, Sulphur, alum, etc. We went upon a high hill this p.m. and saw a man and his wife and his 16-year-old girl behind there. He was born in the U.S.A. and could speak English. He has an American home, an auto, etc. It snows here all the time. Sleigh riding is the girl’s and boys’ sport. I am going up on a mountain one day this week, and Monday I am going to take a boat and go across a large lake which I will write the name of later, and I am going upon the second highest mountain in the world and from there you can see Switzerland and Italy. The highest mountain is in Italy. We can see it with our natural eye. I have some field glasses and you bet I will see it all.

I was sure sorry to hear of Walter Barefoot’s death.

You ought to see my room in hotel, it has bath tub, electric lights, safe in which to keep my money and jewels, etc. The doors are beveled glass. Some mirrors, believe me. We have the kindest, finest little French girls for waiters to serve the table and make the beds, etc. Dog on my lucky time I am going some. I don’t think I will let anyone go back to America and have anything on me. Theyi have not so far for I have done my bit at the front and I’m going to see the rest.

My Third Day in Aix Les Bain

I took a trip up on Mount Reward this P.m. We went up on a train that runs like a skidder winding round and round until it reached the top which was 5,700 feet high. I was up there at sunset. It was some interesting for me. The sun looked like it set beneath us. And the snow was some beautiful on the trees. We had skates, also sleighs to ride on. The skates were furnished by the Y.M.C.A. They were about 10 feet long and 5 inches wide. You ought to have seen me take my first trip. Ha! Ha! I named by sleigh Dixie-Flyer and think it was the fastest one on record. We had about one mile down hill which was steep. There was about 300 skates and sleighs and you know a picnic, that’s what we had.

Well, I have just come from one of the finest vaudeville shows you ever saw. I am going to visit the old king of Italy’s home Sunday. We take a boat across some channel. It’s some place to go. We will see a real monk and a million other things while I’m in the old country. I’m going to try to complete my history and if I continue lucky I’m going to know how to meet everybody, talk French, German, Scotch, Irish, etc., and I’m going to coin the cash.

You ought to see me flirt with the little French hotel waiters. I’m the very picture of health. I am sitting in a millionaire’s theatre with a bracket which contains 35 electric light bulbs overhead and marble columns, beveled glass doors, etc. What I’m praying for is health and to continue lucky, and when I come home I’ll have some sense, or be crazy one, Ha! Ha!

Write me a long letter. Love to all.

Richard C. Wade

No comments:

Post a Comment