Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Mr. and Mrs. Gordon See Bear In Cotton Field March 16, 1921

The “bear” is at large in the woods two miles west of Monroe, according to Mr. R.H. Gordon, who claims to have seen the animal. “I was at the barn,” said Mr. Gordon Wednesday, “when I heard my wife screem. ‘Look yonder, look yonder,’ she cried to me. I hurriedly glanced up towards the skies, expecting to seen an aeroplane. ‘Look yonder way,’ she added, pointing her finger in the direction of a cotton field. I did so, and to my surprise I saw a bear running towards the field. It was a real bear.” Mr. Gordon, when he read in The Journal about the alleged appearance of a bear north of town, thought the Murphy family were mistaken in the identification of the strange animal they had seen, but now he is convinced that a real bear is at large in the county.

From the Monroe Journal, Friday, March 18, 1921

No comments:

Post a Comment