I notice in the columns of our afternoon contemporary that Mr. “Chink” Rhodes was responsible for the capture of the two colored men who area accused of breaking into the Smith Hardware, Handley-Stallings and Farley stores.
I certainly congratulate the city manager and Chief Tew on the efficiency of this new member of the police force. I think they used rare good judgment when they selected him as an addition to the “regulars.”
-=-
Dollars to doughnuts that there will be a season of rigid speed enforcement for exactly 11 ½ days.
Well that will be pretty good anyway. Its might hard, in hot weather, for fat men to stay in high gear over an extended period of time. After they have been going for about 10 days, everything works in a circle. Even law enforcement or non-enforcement.
I have never been able to understand why a man, when he gets incased in a certain kind of job, always gets fat. I am not talking about myself, understand. I was fat when I came here.
And besides, I am supposed to think.
But talking about speed, I have been told that a certain car, bearing four people, was seen last Sunday night, flying wildly about the city, just before it took to the highway leading toward Kinston, and ran amuck with a big ditch, and then there was a fatality. I wonder just what that human life was worth.
I feel sure, if it had been a member of my family, that I would consider it worth as much as the salary of about two of the men who are now employed on the Goldsboro police force; and I wouldn’t hesitate to include the heads of the departments either.
Editor’s Note: The phrase “dollars to doughnuts” was begun in the 1800s when doughnuts were cheap and a dollar was valuable. Betting “dollars to doughnuts” meant you were betting something valuable against something trivial. Thanks, Copilot.
From the editorial page of the Goldsboro News, Tuesday morning, Aug. 10, 1926
newspapers.digitalnc.org/lccn/sn93064755/1926-08-10/ed-1/seq-4/
No comments:
Post a Comment