Thursday, March 7, 2019

John H. Snowden Writes Home from Toul, France, 1919

From The Independent, Elizabeth City, N.C., March 7, 1919. To see the photo of John H. Snowden, go to https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn83025812/1919-03-07/ed-1/seq-1/

We are publishing the following letter from John H. Snowden, son of Mr. and Mrs. A.B. Snowden of Maple, Currituck county.

Toul, France
A.P.O. 918
Feb. 11, 1919
Dear Mr. Saunders:

As I have the time I will write to thank you for your paper you have been sending me. I should have written before, but as you know a soldier doesn’t have time to write any old time he feels like it. I sure have enjoyed reading The Independent, as it gives me all the home news…. I have been transferred out of my old division. I am now with 2nd Army Traffic Police. I had much rather be in Germany with the 82nd Division. I have been through some hard battles with those boys. I was on the battle line for over nine months with the 82nd Division. I was taken out of it about the first of October and have been in Toul, France, ever since, doing Traffic duty.

I was on the Champaign front the 14th of July, we went from there to Chateau Thierry, the second battle of the Marne. From there we went up on the St. Mehiel sector, and after that was over I was transferred from that division. Before all of this our division held a sector on the Lorraine near Baccarat, France. We were there for over four months, without being relieved. That didn’t amount to much tho, as we didn’t make much advance. Well, I guess I have told you about all the news that I know at this time. I only wish I could tell you when I was coming home, but I hope it will be some time in the good old summer time. I have written papa to plant a good garden and plenty of watermelons, as I hope to be there to help eat them. With best regards to all the family,

Sincerely,
Pvt. John H. Snowden
1st Prov. M.P. Co.
2nd Army, A.P.O. 918, A.E.F.

No comments:

Post a Comment