Friday, September 25, 2026

Personally, a Column by Cole Savage, Sept. 24, 1926

Personally

By Cole Savage

All I get for writing this column is the words of gratitude which come to me from those who read it. Is it worth it?

When Mrs. C. S. Williams clasped my hand in a Raleigh cafeteria last week and said, “We always enjoy your letters and look forward to their coming,” I said, “Yes, it’s worth it. When “Bump” Wood said at the Farmers Convention, “Keep looking through your windshield; I believe you can see more through it than any man I know,” I said “yes, it is worth it.” But when a mother told me her so was clipping it for keeping, I thought how unworthy it is.

I appreciate these expressions as my reward. I only hope that the column will continue interesting enough to deserve them. In this connection if there is a subject of special interest to you which you would like to see discussed here, if you will tell me on a postal card or in a letter what it is I shall be glad to comment on it if it’s of general interest. If it’s otherwise, I shall answer personally by letter.

I was glad to see the Franklin County delegation at the Benson Livestock show last Saturday. All seemed to enjoy the exhibits and the good will displayed there. They took back home a definite idea of what cows and a creamery will do for a community. They were A. H. Harris, county agent, Dr. W. R. Bass, Miss Daisy Caldwell, Mrs. f. G. Banks, Phi Tomlinson, P. G. Smith, Prof. C. R. Bohanan, W. B. Wright, Wm. Cannady, Mr. McGhee, W. T. J. Eaton, J. H. Joyne, W. D. Bowden, Zena Cheaves, W. S. Tharrington, George Earp and F. G. Banks.

* * *

Louisburg’s full page ad of her tobacco market in Saturday’s News and Observer was an eye opener. It bespeaks a cooperation among the business men of Louisburg which should develop at Louisburg one of the best markets in this entire tobacco belt.

* * *

Colleges are opening and I am glad to note that Franklin County is sending many of her sons and daughters to these higher institutions of learning to continue their preparation for life. Among others I was glad to see the names of John Williamson, Sam Wilder and Frances Allen as entering last week. More high school graduates should follow this worthy lead.

* * *

The wave of Thanksgiving which is spreading over North Carolina portrays the true North Carolina spirit. In the various towns where thanksgiving services have been held doubtless the people feel twice thankful for this year. First, for the bountiful harvest, and then because they have really given thanks for this harvest.

* * *

A Winston-Salem veterinarian was bitten by a mad mule and now he is taking the Pasteur treatment for hydrophobia. I used to stand at the head-end of the mule for health’s sake but where am I to go to now?

From page 2 of the Franklin Times, Louisburg, N.C., September 24, 1926

newspapers.digitalnc.org/lccn/sn84020791/1926-09-24/ed-1/seq-2/

No comments:

Post a Comment