Monday, September 7, 2026

John Ross is Danville's Old-Time Village Smithy, Sept. 4, 1926

Danville Has Old Time Blacksmith

By International News Service

Danville, Va., Sept. 4—Who said the village blacksmith had passed forever?

That’s what John Ross who runs Danville’s exclusive horse shoeing shop, asked as he wiped his sweaty brown and gazed around at 16 horses and mules waiting to be shod.

It’s true most blacksmith shops have been converted into auto garages and he has the only one left in this town, admits Ross, but the farmers’ horses and mules have got to be shod by somebody.

“Nope, this is not an unusually busy day,” says ross. “I have several plows waiting to be sharpened and lots of other work from farmers that will keep me busy for several days.

“the auto mechanics may make $1 an hour for working on autos but I have been beating that for the past several weeks. I don’t know anything about automobiles and don’t care much about them.

“Looks like I’m going to have to get an assistant or work nights. All the farmers have been flooding me with work and I have been cleaning up for the past few months.”

Ross’ blacksmith shop is typical of those of olden days. It is located under a spreading tree in the outskirts of town. And he is a typical, brawny, large blacksmith.

A sledge hammer, a furnace, an anvil and other blacksmith tools are his working instruments.

From page 8 of the Concord Daily Tribune, Monday, Sept. 6, 1926

newspapers.digitalnc.org/lccn/sn92073201/1926-09-06/ed-1/seq-8/

No comments:

Post a Comment